Facebook is a great place for candidates to run inexpensive but highly targeted ads. But in the aftermath of the 2016 Presidential Election, that process is not as simple as it once was.
To combat fake accounts, Russian hackers, and other bad actors attempting to inappropriately influence elections in the United States, Facebook has rolled out an authorization process for those who wish to run political ads on its platform.
As it takes a bit of time to get authorized, candidates should get squared away for advertising on Facebook as soon as possible.
You don’t want to find yourself in a position where you want or need to run a Facebook ad but can’t do so because your campaign lacks authorization.
Here’s what you need to do to get yourself set up to run ads on Facebook during your campaign:
(It’s highly recommended to do all of this from a desk top or notebook computer rather than a mobile phone or tablet)
1. Set up Your Campaign’s Facebook Page
Only Pages can advertise on Facebook, not personal profiles.
Therefore you need to set up your page on Facebook as soon as you’re running for office.
And when promoted to select a Category for your Page, don’t choose Politician.
No one likes politicians. Choose Public Figure for your Page’s category
PLEASE NOTE: Be sure that you are listed as a Page Admin under Page Roles.
2. After your Campaign Page is established, click on Settings in the upper right hand corner of the Page on the screen.
3. On the lower left hand side of the screen, click Authorizations
4. Click that the country you reside in is the United States.
5. Confirm your identity then click Get Started – twice.
6. Set up 2-Factor Authentication
7. In Your Primary Country Location, click Confirm Primary Location
8. Under Enter Mailing Address, do just that.
9. Click Enter ID and SSN
Only US passports and drivers licenses from US states and territories will be accepted.
10. Click upload an image.
Here you will upload a JPG or PNG file of your chosen form of identification.
The image must be at least 1,500 x 1,000 pixels in size.
11. After successful upload of your ID, click Next.
12. Enter your postal zip code and click Next again.
13. Enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number and click Next once more.
14. Click Submit
Facebook will then verify (or not verify) your identity and authorize you to run political ads.
If you are verified and authorized, Facebook will send you a letter to the mailing address you provided.
The letter takes around 10 days to arrive. It will contain an Authorization Code
15. When your letter arrives, go to the URL specified in the letter.
The code in the letter is unique to you and can’t be used by anyone else.
The code also is time sensitive so you must complete the process as soon as you receive the letter, or your code will expire.
16. In the Confirm Your Identity, enter your code, and click Submit
After entering your code, your identity should be confirmed and you’re campaign will be ready to run political advertisements on both Facebook and Instagram!